Thursday 2 October 2008

Quiet Week

This has been a very quiet week because Foxy is ill, and so I have been home with him, doing not a lot. On Monday they rang me from the creche to say that I needed to pick him up because they weren't happy about his breathing. It was indeed laboured -- he sounded like an asthmatic. In the end Nearest & Dearest insisted that we take him to hospital, and she was right. They diagnosed it as broncialitis (sp?), and gave him some meds through a nebulizer. That helped, and he is getting better & better each day. He has been in good spirits throughout, so it's been no hardship.

I have been getting REALLY into my knitting lately. I am making a pair of cushion covers, one set of which is done, and just needs sewing up:

I am nearly done with the first (boring) side of the second:

I'm looking forward to the front which is going to be the coral with purple spots. I hate sewing up, and don't think I ever really do it right. So, I found a class at loop on finishing techniques. It's at the end of November, so I figure I do not need to finish ANYTHING until then. Bliss. The class will also teach me how to (finally) make the button band to finish off the monster cardigan:

My other project that I am on the verge of starting is a tea cozy for the fun girls. They chose 'Tea Rose' from Tea Cosies; it is mostly green with white roses on the top. Here's the yarn:

SEVERAL years ago a friend sent me sock yarn and all the tools I would need to make them (thanks J!). I tried, I really did, but you can see that I did not get very far:

I just can't deal with all those tiny double-pointed needles. During my knitting podcast binge I have heard about a new technique, the magic loop. Somehow, it is possible to knit socks on one really long circular needle. I am so excited! I have a booklet on order to teach myself. This will be perfect for carrying around with me coz socks are such small projects.

Against my better judgement, I have joined two social networking sites. I am now on FaceBook, and I have also joined Ravelry. In case anyone reading this is also on Ravelry (a knitting community), my name there is purlhussy. For both networks, my picture is of two puppets in front of my face... I need more time to upload stuff onto both sites, but blogging is definitely my primary focus. I just love doing this, and I'm not sure why.

1 comment:

angelbis said...

I'm on ravelry, too. I don't know my name, though. I'll figure that out and connect with you. what I will tell you, though is that I'm working on a sweater that is discussed a lot there - the Wisteria from the Twist Collective. Very cool. I'm using the same yarn as the person from Moth Heaven blog.

Very nice to catch up a bit with you via your blog. This may be the first time EVER that I've left a comment on anyone's blog ;-)

J