Wednesday 8 July 2009

No pics, sorry mother

WARNING: quite boring detailed parenting post.

Nearest & Dearest and I often ponder what would be more difficult, twins or being a single mother of one. Until now, I have been firmly on the side of single motherhood, but I think 18+ months is very different to the true baby-days. I have been on my own with Foxy for the past 3 days, and we have actually had a lovely time. It's much less tiring that it used to be, and all the militant routine stuff has totally paid off for me. The uninterrupted same-ness would drive lots of people nuts, but I love that Foxy turns off his "In the Night Garden" at 6:25, and marches upstairs eager to get in his bath. Until 4 days ago, I was still doing battle to get him into his PJs after bath, but I finally really thought about it, and problem seems to be solved. I must look like a total loon. I sit with the stuff I need (nappy, moisturizer, PJs) with my back against his bedroom door so that he can't get out. He then runs around like a mad thing (as usual), and I let him know what has to happen next. Then I sit and wait, not looking at him, no nothing, until he comes over. Then I make a huge fuss of him and get as much of the job done as I can before he runs around again like a mad thing. It's working like a charm. I think he needs to do that running around, but I don't need to be a part of it. It is taking no more time, and I am now calm instead of agitated. It amazes me how long it takes me to figure out the simplest things.

The transition to the toddler room has also been a boon. The routine they have there is suiting him really well, so I am adopting it for his at-home days as well. I see now that he has been ready to go down to one nap for awhile. It's just that he can't make it until after lunch to have that nap. At creche he has it 11:30 - 12:30, at home he has 11 - 1. He had been waking 6-6:30 ish in the morning, and I was blaming the light. Now he is going 7-7 like clockwork. This is such a golden era, I'm savouring every minute of it!

I'm enjoying not having some task to work on, like weaning, or getting him to stop biting (he seems to have stopped), or the up-coming toilet-training. It's nice to just BE with him. (He is by no means perfect, he is the messiest toddler I know, but it is just not important enough to me to bother tackling it.) We are doing loads of trip to the playground and swimming at the moment. It's easy & fun. I'm also really aware that it is easy & fun because he is our only child, at least for now. There are certainly advantages!

I must also report that another reason I am feeling so good is that I haven't been drinking. So annoying that it is a poison! I am mostly doing this to try and loose a little weight. I've cut out my myriad of cakes that I eat at work, alcohol, and I'm actually using my gym membership. I don't feel like actually disclosing my weight, but let's just say that my BMI is currently 25, and in an ideal world, it would be 21. As I'm 5 foot 8, that's quite a bit of poundage. We'll see.

Nearest & Dearest is back this evening! I can't wait. Although Foxy has been good company, I am looking forward to real food and adult conversation in the evenings.

1 comment:

Anne Richards said...

I don't think it's boring. You are a fantastic mother and you have a wonderful little boy to prove it.