Thursday 17 March 2011

A Tale of Two Mummies

Just words today, so photo whores can skip right on by. Baby Thomas is now 6.5 weeks old, and this is my first solo bus journey. I have been driving to work to save time, but I much prefer someone else do the driving.

Things have definitely settled down at home, and this is my last week of term -- light at the end of the tunnel. I am now back in the master bedroom and Tom has been relocated into the spare room. The long term plan is to put the boys in together, but we will at least wait till Thomas is sleeping through.

For those who like detail, here it is. Both boys are in bed 7ish. Sadly we are heading up to bed at 9 these days, but it's not forever, right? Sian is having to get up twice in the night to feed. Not too bad, but I remember how much better it is when that drops down to once. Not long now, I think, as that second feed is now 4 or 5. I get up with Harry at 6. He is pretty good about this now, we have thrown a lot of resources into bribery. I'm not proud. Anytime after 6 that Thomas wakes, I get him and he has his one bottle of the day first thing in the morning. This gives Sian a bit of a lie-in, especially on the weekends. It's all working reasonably well to avoid my nemesis, sleep deprivation. Is that the right use of the word nemesis?

The really fascinating part of all this is seeing Sian experience all of the same things I did/do. She has moments of impatience with Thomas that she never did with Harry, and she's becoming acquainted with parenting guilt. So easy to see that there is no need when it's not me. Go figure.

It's weird being a typical Dad this time around. It's accentuated because I have not been this busy at work in years. It sucks; ah well. I'm jealous of the maternity leave, and also very much looking forward to Thomas becoming more human. As the breast feeder, I loved the newborn part, but as a Daddy, it's rather limiting.

Meanwhile, I'm also being spoilt rotten, cooked for just about every night, and everything at home taken care of.


Stuff like this.



And a new sofa installed. Ok, a couple photos, but no babes.

All in all, being a 1950s husband is A-OK.

No comments: