Monday 19 December 2011

Daddy Day

I've had days looking after both boys before. Not loads, but enough. So I have no ready explanation for why I was such a stereotypical Dad today.

It took HOURS to leave the house. I forgot that I would not be able to have a shower while Tom was awake. When we finally made it out the door, I was relieved and looking forward to several merry hours at Spring Barn Farm having lunch, seeing the animals, and visiting Santa in his grotto.

When we got there I realised I had left my coat behind. Oh well, plenty to do indoors. Lunch was fine, though on the manic side, and I can't say that I exuded calm and patience when Harry shouted that he needed a poo just as Tom was gleefully spreading baked beans all over his face.

The wholesome outing ended prematurely after Harry CRIED in disappointment at his present from Father Christmas. Oh the shame.

Never mind, off home again to decorate cupcakes for a Christmas cookie exchange party. Still many delightful mummy moments to be had.

Got to front door and realised that keys were in coat pocket. Inside house. Pack boys back into car. Text Sian to find out where exactly in Hove (actually) her work Christmas lunch is being held. Start driving. Pull over once in Hove. Ring Sian, no answer. Ring her work. Noone there from her school. Of course, they are all SOMEWHERE, BUT WHERE, IN BLOODY HOVE!

Running out of ideas, pass a Starbucks and Harry makes sensible suggestion to stop for a snack. Whilst there, finally reach Sian who agrees to come with key. Phew. Things finally looking up, shame about the PARKING TICKET. Yeah.

By the time cupcakes were decorated and we arrived at party, I gratefully imbibed mulled wine while my hosts looked after my children, as though it were a pleasure. BLESS YOU.

House a complete tip, and burnt pizza for dinner. I'm looking forward to work tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you! What a nightmare day. I think we all have them - just hopefully not too often. :-) Merry Christmas!

Jessica H said...

Wow. That's a bad day. Please remind me re read this the next time I have one.

Each Day Anew said...

That *is* rough. Parking ticket might be arguable with the right judge :) Of course, you'd have to find the time...