Thursday 5 February 2009

Knitting, Surfing, & Cookies

Due to the snow, my work week is now 2 rather than 4 days. Hence, today I planned to use Foxy's naps to do some work. Hmm...not appealing. Instead I find myself doing this:

OK, you can't make out the screen shot, but it's Amazon, and the books ain't academic. And see that red tin? It's filled with home-made choc chunk cookies. Nice.

Knitting update. Over the Christmas period and beyond, I made 3 scribble scarves from the original Mason-Dixon book. I made one in brown for my MIL, one is greeny-blue for my SIL (see Chrimbo post), and I have just finished one in cream for Foxy's last surviving great-grandparent, Gigi. It's easier to see the lacey-look with this one:

And here's what it looks like on (I know, I need to weave in those ends):

I think it will suit her perfectly, and so easy to post! I used Rowan kidsilk haze for the light fluffy stuff, and Debbie Bliss 100% silk for the heavier rows. I loved how quickly these knit up. Two evenings of telly, and voila.

2009 is going to be the year of the sock. I'm ready to move on from the Regia pattern, and learn some cabling and lace knitting in the process. I ordered a bunch of KnitPicks stuff over Christmas and Mum brought it back from California for me. What a treasure-trove! I ordered 6 different small circulars, and have come to the conclusion that wooden needles really don't suit me. I'm too tight for their stickiness. Loving the nickel-plated, and I like them SMALL. I'm working on a little ribbed pair for Foxy now on 2.25mm:

I love things made in his size. And I have enough yarn in this gorgeous colour-way for all 3 of us to have a pair. Cute or geeky, it's all good in my book.

1 comment:

Anne Richards said...

I bought a ball of that strangely patterned wool yesterday. The man in the shop whose job it is to cut keys actually knew a lot about knitting. I'm going to do a practice piece with my circular needle.
Mum