Tuesday 28 April 2009

Knitting UFOs

OK, I've made an inventory of my knitting unfinished objects. It's a long list, but I feel better already, having them documented.

1. These are wristlets for TAG. It's sort of cheating to list them, because I have 2-3 more rounds left to do, and planning to finish them straight after posting! They also don't really count because I started them less than a week ago, so they are just a current project ;-).


2. Again, this one isn't really a UFO because it is a current project, and it's what I want to be knitting ALL THE TIME. I started it on Saturday evening during the unexpected 4 hours to myself. It's my first stab at lace knitting, and it's turning out terrifically. It's a scarf in fingering weight yarn, so I was able to shop from my extensive stash of sock yarn. I got the idea from Jenae who had made one and turned me on to the designer who sells her patterns at knitspot.com. It's the tivoli pattern. Yummy. (But it will be on the needles for a LONG time).


3. These are a pair of vanilla socks (easy Regia pattern), done in knit picks coney island. They are fun and easy, but for some reason I had put them aside and forgot all about them. This will be the project I now carry around with me, now that the wristlets are done.


4. This is the class sock from Sensational Knitted Socks. They should work as baby socks, though may be a bit feminine for Foxy ;-)


5. This one I am actually not dreading. It is a reversible hat for Foxy's Eastbourne cousin. It was meant for Christmas, and I didn't make the deadline. I think it's not going to take too long though.


Now we get to the true UFO's, those projects that make my heart sink at the thought of working on them :-/.

6. A bloody tea cosy. I believe all I need to do is finish seaming it. It is for our very good friends, the Fun GIrls. I made the mistake of letting them choose the pattern. Never again -- I don't like it. It's also going to be way too small. I'll have to find a one-cup tea-pot and hope it fits that. Very unsatisfying.


7. This isn't even a UFO, just a small mending job (i.e., hateful sewing job). This is a beautiful hot water bottle cover made of delicious pink cashmere. But the buttons were never right, and I need to replace them (only one is left hanging off the back). I need to find suitable buttons, and then find a tutorial on the net because I clearly don't know how to attach buttons properly.


8. Remember the cushion covers? Still not done. I am making two, so four squares of knitting. 3 are done. Then I started the fourth, and was reminded just how much I HATE intarsia. I set it aside. I have decided to frog it and just do some simple stripes.


9. Last, and definitely worst, is the dreaded cardi-coat. I HATE working with the yarn, and I hate what I have left to do. Pick up stitches to make ribbed borders, and seaming. Ick. BUT, I know that I will actually enjoy wearing it, so I WILL get this done.


In an ideal world, I would like to have around 3 projects on the go at any one time. So I best get busy!

Finally, I organized my stash. It's mostly sock yarn because I ordered a bunch from knit picks during our trip to America. This bag makes me feel happy and secure, especially now I know it is also a good weight for lace knitting:


This little bag is not so pleasing, but fine. It contains supplies for lots of baby booties (great quick gifts), a hat for a little girl, a purple gauzy scarf, and a pair of fingerless mittens.


I don't need to do any yarn shopping for a while...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so tidy looking. I have two bathtubs full of yarn in my stash, not including UFOs. Damn kids. Then there's the armoire full of fabric. So little time, eh?
-Homestead Mom