Thursday 29 May 2008

Swimming

For the most part, I am very happy living in England. I am also glad to have grown up in California because it means that I notice everyday life. I notice the good stuff, like proper tea, pubs, and greenery. I notice oddities, like pantomime, and cold toast. There are a few things I notice that can only be described as lame, like customer service, dentistry, and...swimming. I never heard the expression "strong swimmer," until I was being contrasted to my English peers.

Without California sunshine and backyard pools, an effort needs to be made in order to raise a "strong swimmer." For the last month, Foxy has been having lessons at Little Dippers. I've enjoyed watching Foxy's personality unfold in the water. In his class, he has been the most nervous, but put on a brave face. When he's meant to be reaching or kicking, or back floating, be mostly tries to flirt with whoever's eye he can catch. All in all, he has been bottom of the class, and teacher's pet. What a charmer.

All that changed this past week because Nearest & Dearest and I decided to join the Brighton Health and Racquets Club. I took Foxy swimming twice before his lesson this week, and voila! He is now super confident and top of the class. Still charming, but not looking nearly so distressed when plunged under water. (Is it wrong to have found it adorable when he was clearly floundering?) Sadly, we are not allowed to take photos. But watch this space, professional underwater photos should be available by summer's end.

No comments: