Wednesday 31 December 2008

Loud

The world is a very loud place! I didn't know. I am a loud person. Kind folks have been telling me this for years -- but on reflection, not my whole life.

I often get water stuck in my ears after swimming, or even just a quick shower. A few weeks ago it did not clear. Yep, I spent about a week deaf in one ear. It's irritating. I finally went to the doctor. She said that I needed them syringed, and that I needed to spend a week prior dropping olive oil into them once per day. OK. I managed to do it 3-4 times. Good enough.

Yesterday morning, Foxy and I trooped off to see the nurse. Have you had your ears syringed?!? It is AWESOME. It's no syringe, it's a power hose. It feels like your brain is being washed, and that maybe the water is going in a little too far. And it almost, kinda hurts. In that good way, KWIM? She started on the really bad ear. After a couple of minutes she checked -- nope, still blocked. She upped the power and soon declared -- that's it, a big chunk just came out. No, I did not look at the waste product. The second ear was just a quickie.

Immediately the world seemed full of noise. Little and big, the world is really, really busy with noise. Did you know?

Foxy was with me because it was time for another jab. That's when I discovered just how loud he is. OMG. The boy SCREAMS! All in all, this ear cleansing has been a really good thing. But this morning Foxy actually woke me up. Yes, Nearest and Dearest still got up with him (I married well), but my slumber was disturbed for a few minutes. Inconvenient.

Anyway, Nearest and Dearest has noticed that I am talking more quietly. This must be a relief. And since the procedure, I have not had to ask her to repeat herself. I'll admit it, it used to irritate me that she spoke so quietly. Who knew the fault was my own.

1 comment:

JF said...

That is really funny. Can I book Sam in for a power cleaning when we visit this summer? He has terrible wax issues...