Tuesday 2 December 2008

Academic Life

Mostly, I love my job. The actual work I do is interesting, and I generally feel competent. My issue is that I really don't much like academics ( a few family and friends excluded, of course). What a bunch of self-important wankers. I don't mind people taking their work seriously, I cannot bear people who take THEMSELVES doing their work seriously. I was in a meeting this morning where a buffoon of a man (my dean, no less) referred to himself as ectopically placed (outside his discipline). ?!!? Where do I begin.

Fortunately for me, sock knitting is my meeting companion:

And for much of the time, I can sit in my office doing my own thing:

1 comment:

Sw said...

too rich!!! perhaps he could be surgically removed? or if we follow the metaphor, the organs he is grafted onto and he will eventually explode.