Saturday 21 May 2011

Shopping

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to not buy myself any more stuff. I'm supposed to only be replacing. It has actually been pretty easy. Rather freeing, there is now a whole area of activity that I don't even have to think about.

This means that my already radically reduced shopping (children) is now practically nonexistent, esp the in store variety. Even our weekly shop is ordered on line and delivered.

When I do go for a real food shop, it is usually to our local Asda, down-market and uninspiring. This is all to try and explain the glee I felt in taking a leisurely shop round M & S food this afternoon. I would always rather buy half the amount for double the price. But I will take just double the price at a pinch.

I knew I had over-indulged when the cashier's closing remark was, "Enjoy your goodies!"


From my extensive cross-Atlantic research, I think that America kicks our ass in terms of going out to eat, but our grocery shops are superior, and somewhat by extension, often dinner party food too. I think this is especially true for dairy and produce, but this may also have something to do with the size of my food budget at age 40 vs 20.

One more thing. How did I miss this genius innovation?





I need to get out more.

1 comment:

Alison Williams said...

Checking my comment feature.