Saturday 5 April 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies...

remain my most frequent baking pleasure. I have childish tastes, what can I say. They are delicious, comforting, and remind me of my very happy childhood. The aroma is pure Americana.

I had a problem when I moved to England. Here, baking measurements are done by weight, rather than volume. What to do about the classic Toll House recipe? The real problem was the butter. You can imagine. Mother to the rescue. She measured out all the ingredients, and converted into weight. Here's the Anglicised recipe:

Cream together:
8 oz salted butter (what is up with unsalted butter anyway?)
4 oz caster sugar
4 oz soft dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence

Add:
2 large eggs
& mix well.

Sift together:
12 oz plain flour
1 tsp bicarbinate of soda
1 tsp salt

Add these dry ingredients slowly, mixing as you go.

Finally, stir in 12 oz plain chocolate chunks. I like chopped up Cadbury's Bourneville bars for this.

Cook at 180 C for around 12 mins, rotating half way through.

Warning -- cookie batter puts a strain on hand mixers. It is the best excuse to purchase a Kitchen Aid.

So, I made these last weekend. Perfection, if I do say so myself:

No comments: